6/13/10

Observations of a Cashier

I am a cashier. this is my part time job I initially got to pay for my college books, cover the cost of my used car and help around the house.
My husband makes enough to support us, but I wanted more.
Hey, anyone who knows me knows I always want more.
Well, 2 years later and I am still a Cashier.
( Ok, I do more I run Fast Lanes, Do Demo's and Customer Service too..)
I cant say I hate my job, how can I ?
I get to watch people, observe them when they don't think people are watching. I get to see how they think, respond act and treat each-other.
After all I am a cashier, most people assume I am dumb.
I play the role really well.
( I might even convince myself at times)
but I digress....

Today a older woman about 70 came up her order was up fast and in the correct order. Her re-usable bags neat and folded first then her frozen, then meats, then produce and cold's bread and eggs last....
she had her Club Sobeys ready for me before I asked. and a grin.
I thanked her organization because as any cashier will say nothing more annoying then a full shop by disorganized people....
so I scanned and bagged easily she watched teh register and comments about the weather and the fact that I didn't need to look up produce codes. I laughed and told her because I know Apricots are 4218 that means I lost a bit of my IQ. she smiled and asked me if I ever judged a person based on their belts ( the way they put their purchase on the belt )
I said I did even though I didnt want to admit to it.

so this is what I have noticed.

Women do not impulse buy more then men, they just impulse on the chocolate more then Man, men usually go for chips or pop!

Busy people people who are parents ( usually single parents) who work forget their bags have a thousand at home.

Single men in their twenties buy meat and energy drinks and surprisingly a lot more vegetables then single women in their twenties. ( they buy more fruit and dairy )

Men in their 30-40's who are single usually divorced buy more red meat then white and rice and potatoes, they also seem to like canned chili. ( A LOT )

Men in their 30-40's never been married buy white meat and fish and they get more potato chips

Women shop for their families ( married usually ) buy more items but less often are often in a rush and rarely say please or Thank you. they dont make eye contact and they usually dont want to be there.
Men who shop for the family usually look hopeless confused stare at the list and wait for the cashier to prompt them for everything.


Women who are divorced with children buy loads of carbs, raw veggies and food for the kiddos but pre packaged items for themselves. meat usually is a combo

Women in their 30-40's never been married yes they have cats.... and these cats get fed first you can tell they always make sure their food is organized on the belt but the people food is not.... they also like to buy the healthiest foods we have. and are great for coupons

Older people buy less but they usually shop more

lastly people who buy for work are usually in a great mood and in case your the employer they often buy their own personal stuff after works order has gone through.


but then again i am a ditz who works at a grocery checkout!

now ask yourself this.. did you fit my profile?






.

No comments:

Post a Comment